PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

HAVAGO
02-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi All,

Just joined the site today so im Brand New (Please be Gentle) and also fairly new to OHS side of things, having just completed my Cert IV last week. Keen to get involved and learn from you all and increase my knowledge along the way.

Cheers Jayson

tracker
03-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Jayson

If you ask any questions on the Forum please indicate that you are working under WHS legislation as not all states have " harmonized ", and even if they have, their Regulations may still be slightly different.
As I said in an earlier reply to a Member - join a local safety group - the Cert 4 is only a first step in a long but exciting journey and your local OHS managers / coordinators/ consultants / Inspectors etc guide you and also ensure that you consult as experienced workers can only assist you in this journey.

Tracker

zetts99
04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the whole OHS arena too.

Am keen on getting formal qualifications.

Dumb question but, what the difference between OHS vs HSE?

Looking at job postings from SEEK, it seems like it's two different roles?

Please advise

Thanks!
Zetts

tracker
04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Zetts

an easy one - OHS is Occupational Health and Safety and HSE is Health, Safety and Environment.

Don't get confused by an acronym but look at the contex of what it is being used for - if it is an advertised position look at the PD to see the scope of work expected of an applicant.

For instance OHS can include an R for Rehabilitation - this would usually require some experience/ qualifications in return to work matters.

Tracker

randomwally
05-14-2013, 10:02 AM
So do HSE and OHS require you to have different qualifications? I know the Cert IV OHS is the entry point into the OHS field, so does HSE have an equivalent course?

tracker
05-14-2013, 11:36 AM
So do HSE and OHS require you to have different qualifications? I know the Cert IV OHS is the entry point into the OHS field, so does HSE have an equivalent course?

tracker
05-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I am no expert in Training courses but OHS & Enviroment are different fields - it's just that they do cross over at times such as in some training courses provided for Management Systems auditing as they can cover ISO 14001 and AS 4801 in the one course.

Many employers ask the OHS Coordinator to take on the enviroment role as well, and even return to work, with little or no training before they start - training requirements are worked out later.

You should check with your local TAFE re VET courses or look up http://www.myskills.gov.au/

Tracker

GinJa
09-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi All ,
New to Forum and OHS In Australia.
I have worked in PNG in Seismic exploration , the UK in Manufacturing/Printing and in South Africa as a Emergency Response Medic ALS , I am Currently working as a Safety Manager in a Construction firm based in Perth WA.

I am new to construction and Perth and was wondering if anyone has any tips or what to avoid/big No No's .

Thank you in advance
Mark

tracker
09-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi All ,
New to Forum and OHS In Australia.
I have worked in PNG in Seismic exploration , the UK in Manufacturing/Printing and in South Africa as a Emergency Response Medic ALS , I am Currently working as a Safety Manager in a Construction firm based in Perth WA.

I am new to construction and Perth and was wondering if anyone has any tips or what to avoid/big No No's .

Thank you in advance
Mark

FluroTraining
09-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Great to see new people joining or interested in joinging the rewarding world of OHS/WHS! :)

In my experience, you can gain employment as a HSE professional through your typical OHS/WHS courses, those courses being Cert IV, Diploma, and AdvDip in OHS/WHS.

But Tracker is correct, it's all about the context of the position advertised! A particular position might be heavily focused on the Environmental factor and require an Environmental Science degree.

Other qualifications you might want to look at are Cert IV TAE (Training and Assessing), Worker's Compensation and Injury management for Coordinator's, Internal and Lead Auditor's courses and incident investigation courses (ICAM).

I recently went through a two year period of facilitating a career change, moving into OHS/WHS/Training and I completely understand a newbie's bewilderment at the early stages!

GinJa, if you are new to the construction industry, you will need a White Card (assuming you don't have one already!) and as it so happens we offer this course online.
http://www.fluro.com.au

tracker
09-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Great to see new people joining or interested in joinging the rewarding world of OHS/WHS! :)

In my experience, you can gain employment as a HSE professional through your typical OHS/WHS courses, those courses being Cert IV, Diploma, and AdvDip in OHS/WHS.

But Tracker is correct, it's all about the context of the position advertised! A particular position might be heavily focused on the Environmental factor and require an Environmental Science degree.

Other qualifications you might want to look at are Cert IV TAE (Training and Assessing), Worker's Compensation and Injury management for Coordinator's, Internal and Lead Auditor's courses and incident investigation courses (ICAM).

I recently went through a two year period of facilitating a career change, moving into OHS/WHS/Training and I completely understand a newbie's bewilderment at the early stages!

GinJa, if you are new to the construction industry, you will need a White Card (assuming you don't have one already!) and as it so happens we offer this course online.
http://www.fluro.com.au

tracker
09-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Customer details

Fluro Training,

Don't want to get into an argument about this, and not saying the White Card training will not be of some assistance, but you have indicated GinJa " will need " this training/ card.
It is only needed if you are undertaking Construction Work as defined in the legislation and a Safety Officer does not normally carry out construction work - the site WHS representative may need one if they are a worker on a construction site carrying out construction work but they also need the consultation training.
Many Companies ask for a person to have it for no other reason than they don't know any better - have even seen them require a truck driver who is delivering water bottles.

Tracker

BINISATHYAN
10-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Hi, I would like to have information on the right institutes to do a cert IV course on OHS or HSE in Sydney or Melbourne. Please guide. I am looking to start a career in HSE.

Rolling stone
11-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi all,
I'm in the same position as Jayson, just completed Nat Cert 4 in OHS Coordination but not employed in H & S as yet.

Question please Tracker - when you say join a local safety group - what exactly do you mean?

Suzanne

tracker
11-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi all,
I'm in the same position as Jayson, just completed Nat Cert 4 in OHS Coordination but not employed in H & S as yet.

Question please Tracker - when you say join a local safety group - what exactly do you mean?

Suzanne

tracker
11-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Suzanne
Sorry for the delay but been overseas - regarding Safety Groups - many areas have local Safety Groups that bring together local company safety officers, safety consultants, workers comp / hr officers and local Inspectors. They have set meetings to discuss real OHS/ WC matters and often visit Companies to give a broader perspective of what can be achieved in best practice.
For instance I am a member of the Southern Safety Group SSG based in Dandenong, Victoria (www.southernsafetygroup.org.au)
They are not as formal as the Safety Institute of Australia ( still worth a look at ) but provide a hands on view of what OHS is all about.
If you do not know if any in your area go see your local OHS Inspector / Office - if none around hammer this forum page with questions as your next best bet as you will see the responses you get are coming from very experienced OHS professionals.

Tracker

Rolling stone
11-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks Tracker, will do.
I'm in Thornlie in Perth if anyone knows of a group there.
Regards
Suzanne